[MacPorts] #60590: Macports mirrors are down?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 7 22:24:23 UTC 2020

On Jun 6, 2020, at 09:04, Clemens Lang wrote:

(stuff about distributing PortIndex via git)

We used to commit the PortIndex into the subversion repository every hour if anything had changed. Here's the last time we did that, 10 years ago:

https://trac.macports.org/changeset/68632

We stopped doing it after that for many reasons: Having generated files in version control is an antipattern. Seeing automated commit messages potentially every hour is annoying. Seeing them in the commit log is annoying. And it doesn't account for the fact that the portindex can have different contents on different os.major/os.arch combinations, which is why we now generate the portindex separately for each os.major/os.arch combination in mprsyncup and MacPorts knows how to get the index appropriate for the user's system. We currently have 14 different portindexes:

PortIndex_darwin_8_i386
PortIndex_darwin_8_powerpc
PortIndex_darwin_9_i386
PortIndex_darwin_9_powerpc