Call for designers for our ports website

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Sat Jun 13 19:38:22 UTC 2020

> On Jun 13, 2020, at 2:24 PM, Arjun Salyan <arjun at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the mockup and the inputs.
>
> http://macports.silentfox.tech/port/gnuplot/stats/?days=365 <http://macports.silentfox.tech/port/gnuplot/stats/?days=365> my version of it does not look as good as yours probably due to a larger amount of data.
>
> Thank you

Thinking about it a little more, I would suggest using an area chart something like this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Ch4dwgNNu7Nv5wGrzFguDV7m5v3prwJ/view?usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Ch4dwgNNu7Nv5wGrzFguDV7m5v3prwJ/view?usp=sharing>

Using areas rather than stacked bars emphasizes the trends in the data (presenting it as changing uniformly throughout the month).  In this chart, it highlights how the installed base of a port migrates to a new version over time (with some holdouts).

Conversely, I would suggest the that “Port installations by month” chart should be a bar chart rather than an area chart.

Note that I wasn’t trying to suggest that we need a table of numeric percentages alongside the graphical representation.  I think  the table will be redundant with a good chart.

Also, a quibble on the word “users”.  More than a few of our users administer several systems that are all reporting statistics*.  We know how many systems are submitting stats but we really don’t know the number of individual users that represents.

Thanks for ‘sweating the details’ on this project!

Craig

* In fact, if MacPorts is installed in more than one prefix on a system, couldn’t each prefix be submitting statistics independently?