macOS 11 and Apple Silicon

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Jun 22 20:19:34 UTC 2020

I just pushed some changes to base/master and dports/master to better support macOS 11 and Apple Silicon, but there's quite a bit of work ahead of us.

Some common issues to be aware of:

1) libtool required an update for the version bump.  This means many projects might need an autoreconf to build correctly.
2) arm64 builds with implicit-function-declaration warnings promoted to error because vararg and non-vararg functions have differnet calling conventions, thus a prototype is required.

#2 is easiest to fix when you see it in actual build failures (add a missing header include or protype), but  it's less obvious and more problematic when it occurs during project configuration.  There are many configure scripts that now fail certain checks because of a missing include.  MacPorts base was one such example, and you can see how I had to fix that here:

    https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commit/aeda00dfd7aa26fa4b78ac30d76ea64cdf0a4408 <https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commit/aeda00dfd7aa26fa4b78ac30d76ea64cdf0a4408>

Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Jeremy