randomly bumping things to require perl 5.30 vs 5.28 requires everyone to have both installed ...

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Jun 23 05:06:09 UTC 2020

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 at 21:34, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> We'd just need to either revbump everything that needs a rebuild when a new minor perl version comes out (all the p5- ports to start)

I would say that we happily accept a pull request that "just bumps"
all dependents of perl5[.x].
Then all the ports will magically work with 5.30.

I seriously mean that. In the past I've done some batch updates, but
it's still hundreds of ports, and it's a non-trivial amount of work
even if the individual updates are trivial. At least in the ports I
touched I tried to ensure that the perl version is only mentioned once
and the variable is being reused elsewhere, so you just need to
replace 5.28 with 5.30, revbump and see if the ports stil builds (in
most cases it does; there are some clusters of software that need to
use the exact same version of perl at once).

> OR some enhancement to base to make it so the revbump is unnecessary.

That's not feasible. Unless the enhancement is to uninstall all ports
and reinstall them from scratch.

Mojca