macos as vm guest

Michael keybounce at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 22:28:43 UTC 2020

If I wanted to run a vm of something at 10.12 or newer, on a host running 10.9.5, is it doable?

If not: How well does 10.9.5 run as a guest on newer OS's?

Keep in mind: 10.9.5 was really the last "low security sandbox", and newer OS's restrict things. 10.9.5 was the last "old audio model" system, and some audio things break on newer stuff (ahem ... Jack Router. And "Jack still works with anything that lets you select an audio device" is only partially accurate -- I still could not use Qjack to route different programs differently, and if I could select an audio device specifically for that program, then I don't need Jack Router.)

Assume the goal is to be able to run a graphical program that wants 10.12 or higher, and get the audio capture/routing of Jack; I'm pretty sure that requires the 10.12+ to be the guest.

Current machine is a 2014 Macbook pro laptop. Is there a better machine that can run 10.9.5? (I think 10.10 was 2016?)