shellescape proc

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jun 28 05:03:54 UTC 2020

On Jun 27, 2020, at 23:18, Fred Wright wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 2020, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Somehow I missed that we have a shellescape proc. This is very exciting! I've wanted this function for a long time, and I'm just realizing now that it exists and that we've had it for 6 years.
>>
>> https://github.com/macports/macports-base/commit/494a1feafa2ad46c66f9714b760fb5b50ff5dd48
>>
>> Thank you, Clemens!
>>
>> We should be using this everywhere, such as in portextract.tcl.
>>
>> It looks like it is available for use in portfiles too. Portfiles should switch to using this when specifying filenames or paths in a system call instead of manually quoting them with 'quotes' (or, more usually, not doing anything).
>>
>> Looks like neither shellescape nor quotemeta are documented in the guide.
>
> Perhaps with good reason:
>
> MacML @21:03:49.192:: Error: Failed to extract curl-ca-bundle: invalid command name "shellescape"

Whoops, didn't realize that it had only just been made available in the not yet released MacPorts 2.7.0 for Portfiles to use. Fixed:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/6c5276d315e64e99f0a7e57b6cf9940b83e9eab6

> This happens on 10.5, 10.8, and 10.12.  The missing binary archives are consistent with this.

That's unrelated.

We don't make binaries for 10.5 right now. We used to make binaries for 10.5 ppc but the Power Mac's power supply died and I haven't gotten the replacement Power Mac online yet to take over.

The 10.8 and 10.12 buildbot workers were offline for a time because the SSDs they were stored on died. They're back up and running using hard disks for now but there is a large backlog of builds.