gcc won't build i386 with our cctools assembler hack

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Wed Mar 4 23:48:35 UTC 2020

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> building i386, gcc 5,6,7,8 misconfigures when our "as" redirects it to
> clang for assembly, following our hack in cctools to do that. the gcc
> build then fails.
>
> I have not so far been able to overcome this other than:
>
> 1. deactivating all clangs 5+ prior to the build, to get the old gas
>
> or
>
> 2. defaulting gcc to use --with-as=/usr/bin/as
>
> Having the built gcc forever use /usr/bin/as as assembler would be
> awful, so option 1 looks better than 2. but ugh.
>
> I tried many things. gcc is complicated to build when you want it to do
> non-standard stuff. There may be some way to make it work...pls chime
> in...but I have likely tried it.

You don't make it clear whether this is solely about building gcc itself,
or about building things *with* gcc.

The "forever" might just be "until there's a better solution", and it's
hard to see how option 2 would be more awful than creating yet another "X
can't build while Y is active" abomination.

Fred Wright