gcc won't build i386 with our cctools assembler hack

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:26:02 UTC 2020

> I'm puzzled.  If this is solely about building gcc itself, doesn't that
> mean that the iuse of /usr/bin/as is only inflicted on gcc itself?

it means that gcc would use /usr/bin/as as the default assembler going forward for everything it builds, unless forced to do otherwise. This is suboptimal, because /usr/bin/as is very old, and much breakage is to be expected with such a plan.

https://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

> I don't know what this "cctools assembler hack is", but if that's breaking
> the gcc build, it should probably be fixed not to.
Hah. Looking forward to the fix :>  We've been trying for almost a year without success, but I welcome the missing configure flag, should it exist!

If might be fixable if gcc would obey environment variables during it's build of libgcc by the stage1 compiler. It doesn't seem to, no doubt to prevent unexpected wreckage.

> On Fri, 6 Mar 2020, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
> > I am discussing with the gcc darwin lead to see if any other options are
> > available.
>
> Maybe that will help.

It's not easy for me to bug Iain with low-level crap like this that we created ourselves. He has plenty enough to do...but luckily for us he is a surprisingly agreeable compiler authour !

Ken