How to set @macports up e-mail alias?

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Tue Mar 17 21:40:37 UTC 2020

On Mon, 16 Mar 2020, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2020, at 21:22, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> On 2020-3-16 04:14 , Eric A. Borisch wrote:
>>> It's been a decade since I set it up previously, and we've moved over to
>>> GitHub Authentication in the interim. Any special directions for how to
>>> set up a committer's @macports.org <http://macports.org> account now?
>>
>> Are we talking about adding a new committer to the project, or an
>> existing committer who doesn't have a working @macports.org email alias
>> for some reason?
>>
>> If the former, they need to apply to PortMgr as documented at
>> <https://guide.macports.org/chunked/project.membership.html>.
>>
>> If the latter, email <admin at macports.org> and the infrastructure team
>> should be able to help.
>
> Josh's answer is correct if you were asking about how to configure what email address your @macports.org alias forwards to.
>
> But if you were asking how to get Git to associate your commits with
> your @macports.org email address, then instructions for that are here:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WorkingWithGit#setup

And *those* instructions are probably not correct if you use git for
anything other than MacPorts, assuming that you don't want to use your
MacPorts alias for non-MacPorts uses.

There are both global and per-repo settings in git.  In the general case,
one would use the per-repo settings for the MacPorts-related repo(s).
It's the same commands without the --global, but while cd'ed to the
relevant repo(s).

Fred Wright