GSoC 2020

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Wed Mar 18 07:09:53 UTC 2020

Hi Samartha,

Welcome to The MacPorts Project!

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 6:20 AM Samartha S M <samarthamahesh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello macports,
>
> I'm interested in contributing to your open source project under GSoC 2020.
> I would like to learn more about the organization and projects so that I can start preparing my proposals for the project ideas listed under GSoC 2020.

Do you already have MacPorts installed on your system ?

You can find the guide at [1]. The Idea list can be found at [2].

You can either start with contributing to the core behind macports
i.e., macports-base[3] or add/update existing portfiles (recipes to
install packages) i.e., macports-ports[4].

To get started with contributing to macports-base, we have an
introductory video[5] which will explain about the codebase very well.

To jump into creating or working on existing portfile, our guide on
portfile development[6] is a good starting point. You may also read
existing portfile in our macports-ports repository[4].

Links:
[1] https://guide.macports.org/
[2] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Projects
[3] https://github.com/macports/macports-base/