Update of port ehcache

Jackson Isaac ijackson at macports.org
Sun Mar 29 12:55:35 UTC 2020

Hi Saptarshi,

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 2:25 PM SAPTARSHI MUKHERJEE
<saptarshim at iitbhilai.ac.in> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just looked at the ticket https://trac.macports.org/ticket/60219 related to updating of port ehcache. It involves a replacement of dependency and a few replacements related to the website from where the file shall be fetched. Following is the file I think is fine to be downloaded - https://github.com/ehcache/ehcache3/releases/download/v3.8.1/ehcache-3.8.1.jar. Kindly confirm the same.

The ticket is not assigned to anyone (meaning I don't think anyone is
working to solve this, yet).

If it were me, and I am interested to work on this, I would assign the
ticket to me.
To do so, you may
- Login to trac using github
- Under Modify ticket->reassign to 'Username'

As for the Portfile itself, it indeed looks very outdated. I would
suggest to use 'github' PortGroup to fetch the files. For ideas, you
may look at existing ports using this.

To make the search easy, I use 'the silver searcher' [1].

> I'd convey hereby that I'm interested to solve this issue, may kindly grant me permission for the same. Any suggestions are always welcome.

If the portfile has 'nomaintainer' or 'openmaintainer', you are always
welcome to create a pull request for it :).
To understand these terms, you may look at the Note under maintainers at [2]

In open source, I wouldn't expect you need to ask permission to work
and improve the project, unless explicitly mentioned.

[1] https://github.com/ggreer/the_silver_searcher#macos
[2] https://guide.macports.org/#reference.keywords

Stay safe,
Jackson Isaac