Thank you for applying for GSOC @ MacPorts

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Mar 31 18:55:53 UTC 2020

Dear students,

(I have put everyone in Bcc just in case, even though you are
generally encouraged to use public communication.)

I would like to thank each and every one of you for applying for the
GSOC 2020. We have received 5 applications this year (I'm sorry for my
own absence during this period), and the mentors are expected to
review them in the following days. The official results about the
selection process will be revealed on the 4th of May. The students are
encouraged to stay involved with the community both before and after
the official coding time.

While the official deadline for submission of the proposals is now
over, I would like to stress out that apart from the proposals
themselves, by far the most important criteria for selecting the
candidates will be showcasing your skillset through some
proof-of-concept code or via pull requests, depending on what project
you are targeting and in coordination with mentors. Last year most of
the activity happened already during the proposal submissions (I would
say that most of the last year's students contributed enough to get
them passed through the 1st evaluation before the coding even began
:), while many proposals arrived much later this year, so we would be
willing to give everyone cca. 2 weeks extra time to showcase your
work. Some projects are pretty demanding, so we would like to make
sure that the candidates can cope with all the challenges.

For Buildbot the contact persons are Povilas, Pierre & Amar (but maybe
use #buildbot on IRC and the buildbot mailing list), for MacPorts
base/core the contact persons are Marcus & Sat, for Django it is Amar
& Rajdeep (& me). Jackson serves as the admin. Again, I believe that
the mailing list might be more suitable than private emails if you
want to get more feedback from the community.

Mojca