control verbose mode in Portfile?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun May 31 18:20:52 UTC 2020

Christopher Jones wrote:

> If you want pass a message on to the user, you should not use verbose output
> to do that. Instead just use a regular ‘ui_msg'

Except that this is not what I'm after; `port -v` generates additional output to
what's printed via `ui_msg`, just like `set -x` shows more than just the `echo`
commands. I probably shouldn't have implied that I wanted to use this to give
more feedback to the user, although it could be useful if the post-activate
calls a command (say a scan) that generates informative output (say progress
info).

A similar argument (irrelevant here) goes for `notes` vs. `ui_msg`: they're
complementary.