Thoughts on switching our archive compression method

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 11 20:23:17 UTC 2020

On Nov 11, 2020, at 14:05, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2020-11-12 04:25 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> One problem is that the archive stays on the user's computer and MacPorts needs to know how to decompress it when the port is activated.
> You can already install different archive types from different archive
> sources, and/or build a different archive type locally, and they all get
> extracted correctly at activation time.

Oh yes I see you're right. In src/registry2.0/portimage.tcl in proc extract_archive_to_tmpdir. It figures out what command to use based on the archive's filename extension. That's fine. I thought it would do it based on the type specified in archive_sites.conf, but I realize now that wouldn't make sense since MacPorts doesn't keep an association of which archive site a port's archive came from.

So that's one less problem with the proposal.