ACTION REQUIRED: Set your SMTP password

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Nov 18 18:14:41 UTC 2020

Dear Clemens,

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 07:14, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 06:36:08AM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > Awesome, thank you very much for setting this up. GMail users
> > (including almost every GSOC student) were in fact unable to set up
> > sending emails from their macports alias, Google disabled that
> > functionality many years ago.
>
> Right, somebody should check whether the SMTP now re-enables doing this
> from the GMail web interface.

I sent my previous email using the new SMTP settings from GMail, but I
didn't see any reply, so I went to check the mailing list archives to
see whether my email went through, to start with.

Given that the email reached the mailing list, apparently the settings
worked, however your reply to me was *the only message* in the whole
thread that ended up in my spam box. I would understand it if GMail
tried to block you entirely (for whatever reason), but I don't get it
why just the reply to me directly deserved the special treatment.

While checking the rest of the spam (which I forgot to do for quite a
while) I discovered another reply from Ryan where I was CC-ed, and a
bunch of trac tickets (all of which CC-ed me), most of them from
today, and a couple from the past few days.

I kept clicking "Not spam", and I can imagine that it takes a while
for their algorithms to retrain, but in any case newer emails from
Trac kept being classified as spam.
I have a feeling as if GMail was trying to sabotage the incoming email
alias after I changed the SMTP settings for the outgoing mail.

I'll keep an eye on the spam box in the next few weeks.

Mojca