install_name_tool problem with symlinks on Xcode 12.2

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 17:41:21 UTC 2020

> install_name_tool in Xcode 12.2 -- the version we are using for Big Sur -- has a bug that could affect ports.

The source code for the Xcode 12.2 version is not yet up on the Apple Open Source website. The last version up there is Xcode 11.3.1 (cctools-949).

<https://opensource.apple.com/source/cctools/cctools-949.0.1/misc/install_name_tool.c.auto.html>

presumably they have switched to using “openat” or similar and have not used the proper flags somehow.

hopefully not an APFS bug — no way we could not know about that by this point in time.

Ken