Time to remove Travis support?

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Fri Nov 27 16:24:01 UTC 2020

On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 08:14:17PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>Hi,
>
>If I understand correctly, we'll soon be unable to run any builds on
>Travis unless we pay for it (they are gradually moving existing
>customers to the new billing plan, so it's just a matter of time):
>    https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing

The travis-ci.org platform we are using will be disabled on or after
Dec. 31st, 2020[1]. Given this new billing plan, I'd rather just remove
Travis CI from our repos.

Beware that we have other repositories under our organization that are
using travis-ci.org, and they have to migrate away as well. For example,
https://github.com/macports/macports-webapp.

>We cannot say that this wasn't expected, so maybe it's time to put the
>last nail in that coffin? I don't know if we can expand the OS version
>list in any of the other services (GitHub Actions or Azure), but it's
>ok even if we don't.

Sure. Let's do it before end of the year. I'll see what I can do about
the build log comment, but GitHub Actions IPs have to be whitelisted on
paste.macports.org first.

I'll keep Azure around for macOS-10.14, but I think Microsoft will
eventually unify build environments on Azure and GH Actions, and we will
keep just GH Actions for convenience.

Generation of CI tarballs from macports-base would have to be migrated
to other CI systems. If we can install .pkgs from the command line and
skip the initial sync (in the postflight script), we could throw it away
and just use official pkg installers.

[1]: https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/migrate/open-source-repository-migration#q-what-will-happen-to-travis-ciorg-after-december-31st-2020