Supporting installing arbitrary port versions

Ruben Di Battista rubendibattista at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 11:02:28 UTC 2020

Is this something that really needs to be implemented from scratch?
There are other package managers that do this and are build to do this
(nix and spack come to mind). I don't know the difficulties of what
I'm going to propose, but wouldn't it be maybe easier to write a TCL
Lexer/Parser that allows to translate the TCL files to input files for
the other package managers and then tweak the `port` command to use
those package managers under the hoods? I'm a bit closer to spack
development, and they developed a concretizer
(https://archive.fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/dependency_solving_not_just_sat/)
for the spec of the packages that took multiple years of work to be
finalized.

Personally I don't like the idea of shipping all package versions,
because there are already pieces of software developed for the same
reason and that, possibly, will do a better job than whatever Macports
will ever be able to do. For me the Macports scope must be kept
focused and small: installing (possibly latest versions of)
open-source stacks from source keeping compatibility with old systems
in the best way possible. There are already improvements that can be
done  UX-wise keeping this same scope: two that come to (my) mind are:
- Using another DSL/Language for Portfile that is easier, more
flexible, and modern (e.g. Python)
- Installing binary-only software.

just my 2¢

--