the state of osxfuse

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Mon Oct 12 22:33:34 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

The osxfuse ports and its dependents are in a pretty sad state right
now. I don't know what to do with them -- and I don't have the time to
fix it anyway (I've dropped maintainership). But I thought I'd post
about it here in hopes that someone else can take it up.

There are three serious problems:
 1) the port's version is outdated and doesn't build on that latest
    macOS
 2) the upstream developer has taken the project closed-source, so
    later versions aren't available except in binary format
 3) building a working kernel module is increasingly hard given
    code-signing and notarization requirement.

The answer to these presumably involves building a new portfile to
install the binary package rather than building from source - given
(3), we have already been doing this with the kernel module for a
while.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports                                      https://drkp.net/