Fetch problem on 10.11 and earlier (acpica)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 18 15:48:17 UTC 2020

On Oct 17, 2020, at 19:34, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2020-10-18 11:25 , Zhenfu Shi via macports-dev wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’m trying to update acpica port to the latest version, but it seems
>> like curl on 10.11 and earlier systems have problem taking to the
>> server: Details
>> <https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.11_x86_64-watcher/builds/38766>
>> The last version is hosted on one other site other than the official
>> site, which I believe is the workaround. Will installing macports curl
>> as a build dep solve this?

No, adding a curl dep won't help. MacPorts downloads using the libcurl that was linked with MacPorts when MacPorts was installed. It does not use a curl executable nor can it use the libcurl in the curl port (unless configured to do so when MacPorts was installed).

>> If not is there a way to fix this, other than
>> hosting the file somewhere else?
>
> Normally this wouldn't be a problem since the file would be mirrored to
> distfiles.macports.org, but the system that does the mirroring couldn't
> fetch it either:
> <https://build.macports.org/builders/jobs-mirror/builds/208765/steps/mirror/logs/stdio>
>
> Ryan might need to look into this one.

Mirroring did not work because mirroring currently happens on a machine running 10.11. 10.11 is the last version officially supported on Xserve, and since we store our data on the Xserve's RAID, I did not want to risk that updating to a newer OS might make the RAID stop working, or worse stop working correctly.

I worked around the problem by adding another download location to the acpica port:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/fcf6f6aa122dc2d113a41132ca1ae3da08df3db4

Note that I had fixed this once before:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/418d0c03b7fa8f360f655c8e7af88fd19e85aa7a

As I redesign our buildbot setup for buildbot 2, my plan is to move the buildmaster and mirroring to a separate VM running the latest OS version, which should fix this problem. Until then, please make sure that the port includes a viable second download location.