Factors determining binary archivability

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Wed Sep 9 05:37:07 UTC 2020

In this particular case, Blender's add-ons are truly "add-ons"... it's
actually fairly easy in the CMake scripts to exclude the add-ons from being
copied into Blender's final application bundle; and even if the add-ons are
excluded from the distribution, it doesn't affect Blender's core
functionality in any way. I have no idea how FSF would interpret this
scenario, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

By the way, Blender Foundation itself, as well as most Linux distros, don't
seem to have an issue distributing Blender (or other software apps, for
that matter) as a pre-compiled binary package. Why does the MacPorts
project seem to be so hung up on this licensing conflict? No one else seems
to care. (I hope I don't insult anyone by asking that. I'm genuinely
curious.)

--
Jason Liu