Need help with USD port

Jason Liu jasonliu at umich.edu
Thu Sep 24 18:31:01 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a portfile for a library called Universal Scene
Description, and I'm getting some strange errors when I try to compile it
on my machine. I'm looking for people with macOS 10.12 or newer to try to
compile USD and see whether they are getting the same compile errors. To
start with, here's my machine info:

macOS 10.11.6 15G22010
Xcode 8.2.1 8C1002

Here's what I'd like people to test:

   1. Download USD version 19.11 from GitHub (yes, it has to be 19.11,
   because that's the version Blender uses):
   https://github.com/PixarAnimationStudios/USD/releases/tag/v19.11
   2. Extract the source code.
   3. mkdir /tmp/usd
   4. cd USD-19.11/build_scripts
   5. python2.7 build_usd.py --no-python /tmp/usd

IMPORTANT: Yes, you *have* to run the build script using Python 2.7. The
upstream authors didn't add any sort of Python 3 support to USD until
version 20.05.

Theoretically, the build script should try to use Xcode Clang to do the
compilation. Just to make sure, check the log file located in
/tmp/usd/build/USD-19.11/log.txt to verify that the build script is finding
AppleClang, and not any of the MacPorts Clangs that you might have
installed on your machine.

I'm looking for compile errors that look something like this:

USD-19.11/pxr/usd/lib/sdf/namespaceEdit.cpp:114:9: error: constructor for
> 'pxrInternal_v0_19__pxrReserved__::SdfNamespaceEdit_Namespace::_Node'
> must explicitly initialize the const member '_originalPath'
>         _Node(const TfToken& name) : _key(name) { }
>         ^
> USD-19.11/pxr/usd/lib/sdf/namespaceEdit.cpp:207:23: note: '_originalPath'
> declared here
>         const SdfPath _originalPath;
>                       ^
> USD-19.11/pxr/usd/lib/sdf/namespaceEdit.cpp:115:9: error: constructor for
> 'pxrInternal_v0_19__pxrReserved__::SdfNamespaceEdit_Namespace::_Node'
> must explicitly initialize the const member '_originalPath'
>         _Node(const _TargetKey& key) : _key(key.key) { }
>         ^
> USD-19.11/pxr/usd/lib/sdf/namespaceEdit.cpp:207:23: note: '_originalPath'
> declared here
>         const SdfPath _originalPath;
>                       ^
> USD-19.11/pxr/usd/lib/sdf/namespaceEdit.cpp:116:9: error: constructor for
> 'pxrInternal_v0_19__pxrReserved__::SdfNamespaceEdit_Namespace::_Node'
> must explicitly initialize the const member '_originalPath'
>         _Node(const SdfPath& path) : _key(_GetKey(path)) { }
>         ^

Regardless of build success or failure, please let me know which macOS and
Xcode/CLT you are using. If you are getting build failures, please also let
me know whether or not it is because you are seeing the same compile errors
that I'm seeing.

P.S.: My portfile won't actually be using the Python build script included
with USD, since MacPorts takes care of most of the actions performed by the
script; the portfile will be running CMake directly.

--
Jason Liu