OpenSSL GPL conflict

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 17 03:10:05 UTC 2021

On Apr 16, 2021, at 21:25, Fred Wright wrote:

>> I'm not aware of the Oracle / Google ruling.
>
> They ruled in favor of Google, meaning that copying Oracle's Java header files to use in conjunction with Google's Java implementation did not constitute a violation of Oracle's copyright.  Essentially they said that APIs aren't copyrightable.

I've now read about it.

The supreme court specifically did not rule whether or not APIs are copyrightable. They ruled that, if the Java API is copyrightable, then Google's use of it in the Android operating system was fair use.

I don't think this ruling has any bearing on the GPL / OpenSSL license issue.