Publicizing MacPorts

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Apr 19 11:48:23 UTC 2021

On 19/04/2021 12.45, Steven Smith wrote:
>> "Champion" how?
>>
>> "MacPorts should be making [the case]" how?
>
> The same way everyone else does: make noise, push news, promote, let the tech
> reporters know. Follow the Woody Allen rule for success.
>
> If a comparable announcement to this was made for MacPorts, I missed it:
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/mac-utility-homebrew-finally-gets-native-apple-silicon-and-m1-support/
> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/mac-utility-homebrew-finally-gets-native-apple-silicon-and-m1-support/>

If you have contacts to tech reporters, please use them. I don't have any. If
Ars Technica or any other news site wants to cover MacPorts, they can do that
any time.

Maybe we could sent out news to macports-announce about support of new macOS
releases as well as the arm64 architecture. But at which point would you do it?
There are continuously updated ports with support or fixes for arm64. The
announcement for 2.6.4 in November [1] briefly mentioned the support for arm64.
But I don't know what more to say, because... it just works? ;-)

MacPorts 2.0 that introduced binary archives also got news coverage, which was
mostly because we increased the major version number. Homebrew did the same
thing now, because they had to make changes to support an additional
architecture, thus they got the news coverage. MacPorts did not need that many
changes to support arm64, because it had the general support for multiple
architectures already.

Rainer

[1] https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-announce/2020-November/000057.html