MacPorts 2.7.0-beta1 now available for testing

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 25 02:36:45 UTC 2021

On Apr 24, 2021, at 13:19, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> Started testing on 10.4 Intel:
>
> after upgrading /opt/local to the release-2.7 branch tip building from git source I am seeing this, which I have not previously noticed:
>
> $ port
> sqlite error: attempt to write a readonly database (1544) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry
>    while executing
> "registry::open $db_path"
>    (procedure "mportinit" line 712)
>    invoked from within
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, sqlite error: attempt to write a readonly database (1544) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry
>
> $ port -v
> sqlite error: attempt to write a readonly database (1544) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry
>    while executing
> "registry::open $db_path"
>    (procedure "mportinit" line 712)
>    invoked from within
> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, sqlite error: attempt to write a readonly database (1544) while executing query: ATTACH DATABASE '/opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db' AS registry
>
> $ ls -la /opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  212586496 Apr 24 10:51 /opt/local/var/macports/registry/registry.db
>

> using “sudo” for routine port commands, like “sudo port -v outdated” still works.
>

> (how I build MacPorts:
>
> I build base in /opt/bootstrap, then install curl in that /opt/boostrap installation.
>
> then I build and install base in /opt/local like this:
>
> ./configure —with-curlprefix=/opt/bootstrap —with-sqlite3prefix=/opt/bootstrap

Sounds like it might have been caused by the changes that fixed this bug, which were made recently and I haven't had a chance to try them yet:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/61154

Does only the first non-sudo `port` command fail? Does running the command with `sudo` once allow it to work without `sudo` a second time?

(There could be a one-time need to modify the registry sqlite database for the new method.)