Question about `platforms` and `${os.platform}`

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Dec 12 22:25:15 UTC 2021

On Dec 11, 2021, at 7:42 PM, Jason Liu <jasonliu at umich.edu> wrote:
> Actually, I find myself needing to use them more and more. For example, I now often have to check for macOS < 10.12, due to the large overhaul that happened in AppKit between 10.11 and 10.12. My workarounds for older versions of macOS are contained inside those `if {${os.major} <= 15}` conditionals.

Ideally you wouldn't have to use any (and the portfiles would all be declarative) - that's not really possible now, but I think needing them is a good indication of areas where we should enhance MacPorts base to make it (eventually) possible to not need them.

For os.major stuff, I think there have been some proposals for range syntax, just none have been implemented yet.

--
Daniel J. Luke