[10.6.8] certbot & pyOpenSSL problems

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 02:17:23 UTC 2021

> System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549) Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

It appears that you are running a 10.6.8 system (on a macmini, I think I saw?) and I think you appear to be using it as a server for various things.

In another spot, I see that it is a 32bit EFI Mac:

> platform: macOS-10.6.8-i386-64bit

If you are not using for much else beyond being a server, I thought I would let you know that this tiny like c program:

https://github.com/demonicsweaters/make_single_eltorito.c

that compiles in 10 seconds or so, will slightly modify an Ubuntu 64 bit installer image to properly boot a 32bit EFI Mac, and you can then install Ubuntu 64 bit on there.

Once it is installed, you’re good to go, and you can use 64bit software everywhere, including any 64 bit software you download rather than get from the main repo, like Spotify, Google Chrome, etc.

I have this now running on 3 older Macs with 32bit EFI, and it works just beautifully. And if you are just using that as a server, you would be most likely many miles ahead to be running Ubuntu 20.04 with webmin than trying to keep teasing SnowLeopard along as a server.

Just my $0.02 for whatever.

Ken

(PS - dual booting a MacOSX install of 10.6 or 10.7 works just fine too, using ReFIND: https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/ )