openmpi-* subports, and publishing of binaries

Christopher Nielsen mascguy at rochester.rr.com
Mon Feb 1 15:49:07 UTC 2021

Given how long the various openmpi-* subports take to build, it would be beneficial to publish binaries for our users.

This is currently disabled in the Portfile, with a brief mention that it’s due to ‘hwloc’... and the tight coupling between the compiled binaries, and the hardware it’s compiled on.

Digging through all information resources available - including git history, old trac tickets, mailing list archives, etc - I couldn’t find much discussion surrounding this.

So, assuming this isn’t a simple licensing issue (?), does anyone have an answer?

Of note, my goal is to eliminate any technical barriers (if possible), by engaging the OpenMPI developers. But before doing that, any relevant background would be helpful.

Cheers and Thanks,
-Chris