openmpi-* subports, and publishing of binaries

Eric Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Wed Feb 3 09:29:49 UTC 2021

This seems off.

Hwloc’s own page talks about the availability of pre-compiled packages, and
its demos focus on determining what threads to bind to (on OSes where
explicit binding is possible; last I checked it wasn’t on OSX) if you want
to maximize or minimize shared resources. (You may want shared L2 cache
between threads for cooperative tasks, or to put threads on cores with
different memory busses - and bind memory allocs, too - if your code is
burning through large, and separable, chunks of memory at max bandwidth.)

It is designed to be used at runtime to provide a uniform (across OSes) way
to interrogate the running system’s topology.

This is separate from flags like -march which lock in instruction sets
which will be used  — and can create decidedly non-portable binaries.

Just my 2c,
  - Eric