Desolate Condition

Christopher Nielsen mascguy at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jan 26 15:12:09 UTC 2021

> Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
> homebrew is in shambles.
>
> their long-touted "no-sudo" and "no PATH" advantage from installing into /usr/local has been eliminated by Apple as the horrible security threat it always was. They have to retool into /opt/homebrew and make 10,000 builds respect the build args now.
>
> They stripped out all their universal handling code a few years ago, can't put it back, and so can't do the critical universal builds any more. They tell everyone universal is wasteful, lipo things manually, and run the x86_64 homebrew on Apple Silicon.
>
> So MacPorts, which works great from 10.4 PPC to 11.x arm64, is the place to be.

Personnally, I’ve never actually tried HomeBrew, as I didn’t want anything installed into core OS areas. And after choosing  MacPorts years ago - 10+ at this point? - I’ve always been very happy with the experience. Enough so that I’m finally giving back, as a contributor!

One advantage that HomeBrew does have, though, is cachet: There are so many times when articles - or even organizations, such as Google - simply recommend using HomeBrew… with no mention of MacPorts.

So, my feeling is that we need to up our public relations game. Do we have an active social media presence, for example? (Twitter in particular?)

Of note, while I’m not an expert in social media relations, I’d happily volunteer to help with it.

Thoughts?