Can we enable CI for legacy systems?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 27 18:17:43 UTC 2021

On Jan 27, 2021, at 06:32, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Maybe GitLab runner isn't able to run on the oldest macOS that we
> support, but if you run it on the host just to fire up a VM, that
> might be ok.
>
> I see that GitLab supports CI on top of GitHub repository:
>    https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/ci_cd_for_external_repos/github_integration.html
>
> Maybe that's not as straightforward as if the repo was stored on
> GitLab directly, but it still sounds perfectly fine if you get it
> working.
>
> Even if you just start with your own clone of the GitHub repo inside
> GitLab and get it working, this would still represent some 90 % of the
> job (majority of [a] and complete [c]).
>
>> PS: Does Github Action support custom "executors" to eventually run libvirt?
>
> I'm not so familiar with GitHub Actions, but we are currently using
> buildbot for the official builds. That one certainly offers native
> libvirt support:
>    https://docs.buildbot.net/latest/manual/configuration/workers-libvirt.html

If it is helpful to do so during development, GitLab and/or GitHub Actions could be involved, but I see no reason why either of them would be relevant to what we end up deploying. Our repositories are hosted on GitHub, and it should be completely sufficient to have GitHub deliver web notifications about pull requests to whatever CI system we develop. As far as I know, Buildbot supports integration with GitHub PRs, and we already use Buildbot for the final builds, so it would make sense to me to use it for CI builds as well, if we're going to spend time developing our own system.