We will need an isolated gcc c++11 bootstrap compiler

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 07:33:02 UTC 2021

gcc11+ requires a c++11 compiler to build, and won't build with older
clang versions for other reasons besides c++11 capability.

So to bring the older systems up to parity with current and supported gcc
versions, and hopefully have them standardize on libgcc11 to make it all
easier on everyone, I'm going to need to create a stand-alone gcc compiler
that is self-contained with it's own libraries to use as a bootstrap.

I'm thinking this will either be gcc5 or gcc7 at present as they are both
capable and very easy to build on every system using system roots.

The bootstrap gcc5 or gcc7 will be tucked away somewhere off the beaten
path, and used only to build gcc11/libgcc11 on older systems, and other
similar things that might be needed for bootstrapping.

Ken