Dovecot Update Fails to Build in CI, Trace Mode

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 4 19:16:25 UTC 2021

On Mar 4, 2021, at 11:51, Steven Smith wrote:

> The dovecot build downloads several text files from https://dovecot.org/ using wget. (For some reason this doesn’t break trace mode).

Does trace mode usually prevent network access? I don't recall.

> Is it preferred to just let the project’s Makefiles invoke wget, or add these explicitly into the port fetch distfiles with their own master_sites and checksums?

The latter for all the usual reasons. (We verify via checksums that the files haven't changed. We mirror the files to a server closer to the user. Our mirrors still serve the file if the original server goes down.) If the filenames don't change when their contents changes, you may want to either tweak how you download the file to add e.g. a version number or date (see the curl-ca-bundle port for an example) or if they always change together with the dovecot version, you could put all the files together in a subdirectory by modifying dist_subdir.