GitHub discussions

Gregory Anders greg at gpanders.com
Sat May 1 22:46:58 UTC 2021

> On May 1, 2021, at 4:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On Apr 30, 2021, at 14:08, Mark Anderson wrote:
>
>> For some of our more long running discussions should we try and leverage GitHub’s discussion feature? I know that for instance the past Perl discussion and the Binary only discussion can be hard to wade through on the list. Might be a good place to foster engagement.
>
> I wasn't aware that discussions on the mailing list were difficult to access.
>
> I'm not thrilled about adding Yet Another place for MacPorts discussion to happen. It fragments the community. For example, there are already discussions that happen on IRC or our other chat system of which those people who only subscribe to the mailing lists are not aware.

One potential solution might be something like public-inbox.org [1]. This would provide an easy-to-access archive without fragmenting discussion further.

That said, I don’t know what all is involved in setting that up, and I don’t want to push more administrative tasks onto maintainers. But it’s worth mentioning as an option.

[1]: https://public-inbox.org/README.html