python port notes suggest to "select" one -- but do we want that

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 12 03:35:43 UTC 2021

On May 8, 2021, at 13:40, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> Sat am ponder:
>
> I just updated python and saw the note displayed to select a python if you want it the default.
>
> However we/I spend lots of time undoing this kind of thing, asking people to unselect everything, when their builds inevitably fail.
>
> Perhaps this note might be considered not so helpful then, as we actually don’t want people (for the most part) to select anything.
>
> And now back to your regularly scheduled programming…

The wording of the message (of every port that can be selected, not just python) could be improved. It currently starts with "To make this the default Python", perhaps implying that the user *should* do this or that the installation is incomplete without doing this. It might be better if it started with "If you would like to make this the default Python", hopefully better conveying the truth that the user *can* do this but does not need to.

MacPorts offers and supports the select mechanism. If any ports fail to build when something has been selected, that is a bug in the port that should be fixed.