Publicizing MacPorts [bundles]

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Sat May 22 12:35:31 UTC 2021

Artem Loenko via macports-dev wrote:
> BUNDLES
>
> Homebrew supports bundles[3] where you can list all the software you use
> and install it with a simple `brew bundle` command. It is a convenient
> way to track a list of software you use, migrate between machines or set
> up remote hardware on CI/CD. With MacPorts, I found only one way to do
> so – Makefile or a shell script where I list all the packages I need.
> Not a big deal, you can say, and it is true. But one of the reasons to
> use Homebrew over MacPorts.

I've got a problem w/ bundles : they -almost- never install -or- do what
I need 🤔👎🏻

Lets take something like the LAMP stack:
L : it's a given (macOS)
A : apache24 ; ngix
M : MySQL ; Percona ; MariaDB ; Postgresql ; sqlite
P : php72, php73, php74, php80 ; python ; perl

and for php in particular : which extensions are needed ?
as to the different php-versions : I had to play around w/ Magento &
Typo3. At that time, I had php73 installed ; BUT they had only certifed
themselves up to php72 and simply refused to install under php73, so I
had to || install php72 and modify my Apache24 conf ; & presently
WordPress doesn't recommend php80; & one of the modules WordPress really
recommends (php80-imagick) isn't available yet for php80, but can be
installed from source [thread: Re: [errors] php80-imagick ; 21/01/2021]

So : bundles is a nice idea; but I regard them as for the intermediate
user - not the advanced.

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa