Publicizing MacPorts [installation]

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat May 22 17:35:08 UTC 2021

> Yes, thanks for the tips! I am pretty sure that it is possible to automate it one way or another. But my point is that it would be helpful to have a one-liner to install MacPorts and maintain it as a part of the main repository.

This was of course suggested years ago as well, when homebrew first did it, but at that time was that it was both not needed and not a useful addition to MacPorts, if I recall the full email exchange correctly, so we let the idea die.

I wrote up a MacPorts install script for Jeremy’s Xquartz project here <https://github.com/XQuartz/XQuartz/blob/master/install-or-update-macports.sh> that adds a bit more trickery he needed, but the basic guts was extremely simple and what I recommend to people who complain that MacPorts is extremely difficult to get installed and they claim to have spent hours and hours and hours trying to make it work:

==

cd /tmp
git clone -b release-2.7 https://github.com/macports/macports-base.git
cd macports-base
./configure && make && sudo make install

and then add to the $PATH as usual

==