bash and bashdb ports

Giuseppe 'ferdy' Miceli ferdy at ferdy.it
Sun May 23 17:22:16 UTC 2021

> On 21 May 2021, at 21:05, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:
> On 21/05/2021 14.48, Giuseppe 'ferdy' Miceli wrote:
>> could someone be so kind to enlighten me about the bash port?
>>
>> if i am not mistaken the bash50 sub-port is obsolete and could be removed.
>>
>> i stumbled on it while installing bashdb which depends on bash50 which conflicts with bash.
>>
>> i worked around changing in my local repository the dependency from bash50 to bash and was about to PR the modified bash and bashdb ports, but frankly speaking i do not know if that would be the right think to do.
>>
>> thank you very much in advance,
>
> bashdb is not compatible with bash >= 5.0 and fails to build. This is
> the only reason the bash50 subport still exists.

thank you very much for the explanation rainer!

what i failed to understand is that macports now ship bash 5.1.8 which is obviously >= 5.0.
i googled for any more information about this incompatibility without success.
moreover, i found out the bashdb fails to build at config level because of a case statement.
then i locally patched Portfile and created a patch for configure file (attached) and everything worked.

yet i admit i often use bashdb to debug simply shell-scripts and have no idea if this incompatibility lays on more complex scripts.