Publicizing MacPorts [installation]

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun May 23 17:58:59 UTC 2021

On 2021-5-23 20:40 , Artem Loenko via macports-dev wrote:
> If you ask me, `curl | sh` is a better option than `sudo make install`.
> Even if we compare them both as anti-patterns.

If you haven't done any verification of the integrity of what you're
installing, 'make install' is certainly also a bad idea. But at least
you had the opportunity to verify the gpg signature or whatever of the
tarball you downloaded before running that. (And sure, a lot of people
don't, hence the preference of the pkg installer for general use, which
will refuse to install if the signature can't be verified.)

> Plus, `make` requires a few dependencies. But when you install a package,
> all the logic/doctor checks can be implemented on the `ports` binary level.
> Install CLT, Xcode, check the environment, etc. Simple is better.

Sure.

- Josh