MacPorts Base: Support for a lower level of debug output, like ui_trace, or ui_debug2/ui_debug3?

Christopher Nielsen mascguy at rochester.rr.com
Mon May 24 15:13:32 UTC 2021

Has there been any thoughts/interest in implementing another level (or two) of debug output, providing more detail than we get at Debug? That would allow us to optionally output more diagnostic info in various areas, such as our portgroups, without flooding the logs when running at our present Debug level.

I’ve found this extremely helpful in the various projects I’ve worked on over the years. And it would certainly benefit us too.

In many of the common logging frameworks, such a level is sometimes called Trace. That terminology might be confusing within MacPorts, given that we support trace mode. So perhaps we would want to name it differently. (Debug2 and Debug3?)

But naming aside, has anyone else considered the general idea? Thoughts?