MacPorts Base: Support for a lower level of debug output, like ui_trace, or ui_debug2/ui_debug3?

Georges Martin jrjsmrtn at gmail.com
Wed May 26 09:53:17 UTC 2021

> I personally find debug mode too verbose already and think we should reduce the amount of information produced by debug mode.

I don’t know enough about Tcl logging but in Python you can have separate, hierarchical loggers for each major modules in your system and then activate and set the logging level for each of them.

It means you could have a top logger (« macports ») set to INFO…

>> That would allow us to optionally output more diagnostic info in various areas, such as our portgroups,

The advantage is that you keep a manageable, standard set of logging levels and have a small set of functional module loggers.

G.