MacPorts Base: Support for a lower level of debug output, like ui_trace, or ui_debug2/ui_debug3?

Christopher Nielsen mascguy at rochester.rr.com
Wed May 26 11:07:14 UTC 2021

Great question!

One of the key things this would allow us to do, is reduce our current Debug output, by outputting less-important details at Debug2 or Debug3. For example, if we don’t want to see some of the ui_debug messages from our various portgroups - like, say, the numerous messages related to adding port callbacks - we could modify those to output some things at ui_debug2 or ui_debug3.

So if we needed to diagnose precisely what portgroup callbacks are added, those diagnostic messages could be enabled by setting the output level [via the port command] to Debug2 or Debug3. But at the current Debug level, they’d be hidden, making things less verbose.

Does that make sense?