rmd160 deprecated with openssl 3

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Wed Nov 10 18:08:32 UTC 2021

We should only be using widely vetted algorithms, IMHO. We really don't
actually need more than sha256, but if we're going have a second hash
and to replace rmd160, I'd recommend using SHA-3 (which is Keccak based
and uses a quite different construction than SHA-2, and is a national
standard.) Failing that, I'd suggest BLAKE2 or BLAKE3, which are based
on very heavily studied primitives.

In no case should a hash as short as 128 bits be used; birthday attacks
on such hashes are feasible.

Perry