port:libcxx - why so old

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 17:00:30 UTC 2021

Hi,

Judging from the version number, port:libcxx ships a version that's long outdated. Is there a reason for that, like it's the latest version that builds on all OS X versions that require the libc++ conversion?

I have a local version that is currently at v8.0.0 on my 10.9.5 system and have had that install the runtime shared libraries (= not the ones used by the linker) in $prefix/lib via an additional +runtime variant which also installs a launch wrapper that adds $prefix/lib to DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES (DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH typically isn't enough on Mac). It's a lot newer than my system versions even (than v5.0.1) and yet I can't recall having had any issues with it. On the contrary, it fixed a number of strange C++ runtime warnings in certain KDE software and must give me that bit more performance because built with a more recent clang, full CPU-specific optimisation and LTO.

R.