get a compiler version?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Oct 2 02:55:04 UTC 2021

On 2021-10-2 01:39 , Sergey A. Osokin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could you guide me how to get a compiler's version.
>
> I know it's possible to use configure.cc and configure.compiler
> variables (their default values are /usr/bin/clang and clang),
> but is there a variable with the clang version?

There's no variable because getting that information requires running
the compiler. That's also not something you want to be doing every time
your Portfile is parsed, if you can help it.

So let's take a step back and ask: what are you trying to do? If your
port needs a compiler with support for a particular language standard
for example, there are options you can set to request that.

- Josh