Portfile dependencies relying on specific variant

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 5 22:53:08 UTC 2021

There is no solution. MacPorts base does not have the ability to depend on a variant of a port. (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/126)

> 2.  How can I improve the user experience in the same scenario?

The user experience is already as good as it can get, given how things currently work in MacPorts.

Ideally, ports should be designed so that they can depend on other ports wholesale without regard for variants.

For example, if osm2pgsql's lua support is something that other ports want to depend on, then either osm2pgsql should be modified so that it provides lua support unconditionally, or osm2pgsql's lua support should be broken out into another port (perhaps a subport) perhaps called osm2pgsql-lua.