Help offered

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Wed Sep 8 06:29:18 UTC 2021

Dear Giuseppe & Michele,

On Tue, 7 Sept 2021 at 18:00, Michele Venturi wrote:

> I like shell scripting, it looks like a good first task.

Thanks a lot for the offer!

We need to get this merged first (it should basically be ready, but I
want confirmation from Ken and Ryan):
    https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/11534
before other changes can start flowing in, but in principle you can
already start working/testing from that branch.

I need to make a Trac ticket for transition to 5.34 (not a dependency
for your work either), see
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/58361

All ports that depend on 5.28 (some on 5.30 or 5.32 by now?) need to
start pointing to 5.34, and revision needs to be increased for all
those ports. Some ports depend on each other (notably some Apache
stuff, I forgot what exactly) and they need to be changed at the same
time (that is: not one port today and one after a few months; a few
commits apart is fine).

Changing some of the ports in various ways to make them more
consistent with each other and easier for scripting the changes later
is valid (ideally that should be done in a separate commit).

We have a command that lists all the ports depending on a particular
perl version. See the above ticket for an example. That's the list of
ports you could start with.

If anyone will work on a slightly more serious scripting that would be
usable in the long term, I would slightly prefer to see it done in
Python than Perl (Tcl would also be valid if that would help you
interact directly with MacPorts).

Thank you,
    Mojca