Issues handling Python 3.10 in portfiles

Christopher Chavez chrischavez at gmx.us
Fri Sep 10 18:04:44 UTC 2021

Python 3.10.0 is expected to be released 2021-10-04, which will become the python310 port.

Just want to remind others to be on the lookout for portfiles (usually for ports not having `python` as the primary category) with version string handling that erroneously assumed there would never be Python 3.10, 3.11, etc.: naïvely adding Python 3.10 to these ports without further adjustment will cause them to instead erroneously interpret the Python version e.g. as "31.0", "3.1", "3.0", or "1.0".
https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2020-October/042521.html

I corrected several examples already, but I doubt that I found all of them:
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Achrstphrchvz+is%3Aclosed+python+3.10

Christopher A. Chavez