[NEW] www/unit

Sergey A. Osokin osa at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 27 22:16:33 UTC 2021

Hey Graid, thanks for the update and questions!

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 06:00:40PM -0400, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> > On Sep 27, 2021, at 9:07 AM, Sergey A. Osokin <osa at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 02:33:34PM -0500, Marius Schamschula wrote:
> >> Sergey,
> >>
> >> I’ve edited those parts:
> >
> > is there any other suggestions or comments on the www/unit/Portfile?
>
> In the absence of feedback from people much more knowledgable than me...
>
> Am I missing something obvious?   Should there not be supports for the
> various versions of Perl, Python and Ruby?  IE unit-python39 instead of
> unit-python?  Shouldn’t each support depend on the relevant version of
> the support module.  Eg unit-python39 should depend on python39 ?  Can
> different versions coexist or must they be marked as conflicting?  Eg
> can unit-python38 and unit-python-27 be installed at the same time?

Several modules that supports several versions of programming languages
can be coexist.  That's definitely what I'm locking for.

> Is there some reason that you are not adding module support for PHP,
> Go, Java and Node.js?

Unit's PHP module depends on a PHP shared library, will take a look on
that.  I'm from FreeBSD world and Unit's Go and Node.js modules can't
be added to the FreeBSD ports tree, need you guidance here.

> Should the unit port not depend on nginx?

No, NGINX Unit is a separate product.

> Or is it that the nginx server can be on another machine?

In case NGINX needs to be a front-end or reverse proxt, then yes.

>  Perhaps a default variant should be added that simply adds a run
> dependency on nginx as a courtesy to new users?

I don't think so.

> Is the unit port, by itself, capable of anything useful?

It's possible to use it as a reverse proxy.

>  Doesn’t at least one of the subports need to be installed?

Depends on needs, there're so many cases.

> If so, I think you should add notes to indicate this.  The notes
> might also direct the user to an appropriate web page regarding
> configuration.

Good point, will take a look how can I add a port/package message.

Thank you.

--
Sergey Osokin