Location to store binaries

mcalhoun at macports.org mcalhoun at macports.org
Sat Apr 16 15:38:12 UTC 2022

Unmodified, the upstream Rust compiler runs on 10.9 and newer.
The current rust Portfile uses clever tricks to allow the the upstream Rust compiler to run back to 10.7.
However, there is no known way to force the upstream Rust compiler to start using emulated thread-local-storage, so it cannot run on 10.5 and 10.6.

Instead, the pull request builds a *new* bootstrap compiler that uses emulated thread-local-storage.
The MacPorts bootstrap compiler can only be built on 10.9+ but is meant to be used by other systems.
Therefore, the problem becomes where do the older systems download the new bootstrap compiler?

-Marcus